Saturday, July 3, 2010

Betty Boop (1930-1939)


Betty Boop, made her first cartoon August 9, 1930, called Dizzy Dishes.

Betty Boop, was modeled after Helen Kane, the famous singer of the 1920s and Clara Bow, who was a popular actress in the 1920s. The character was originally a French poodle. Max Fleischer, finalized Betty Boop as completely human by 1932 in the cartoon Any Rags.

Betty was in ten cartoons as a supporting character, a flapper girl with more heart than brains. In individual cartoons she was called "Nancy Lee" and "Nan McGrew".

Betty's voice was first performed by Margie Hines, and was later provided by: Kate Wright, Ann Rothschild, Bonnie Poe and Mae Questel, who began in 1931 and continued until her death in 1998.

It has been assumed that Betty's first name was established in the 1931 Screen Songs cartoon Betty Co-ed.

There were at least 12 Screen Songs cartoons that featured either Betty Boop or a similar character. Betty appeared in her first and only "Color Classic" cartoon, Poor Cinderella(1934).


Betty Boop, became the star of the Talkartoons by 1932, and was given her own series in that same year beginning with Stopping the Show.

From this point on, she was crowned "The Queen of the Animated Screen." The series was popular throughout the 1930s, lasting until 1939.

Click to view more Betty Boop toons.

19 comments:

  1. DAWN! For crying out loud, where was I when you did this post? I love it! I love Betty! I must have been off in la-la land or something. What a wonderful bunch of clips and how fun this post is...thanks so much for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, Ever since I posted up this Betty Boop post, I wanted to have a Betty Boop, themed blog page. It took awhile, but.. I now have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, these Betty Boop cartoons showing her evolution of her adorable boop-boop-a-doop personality onscreen are just plain delightful! I'll admit I first noticed the blog post when I was checking out ClassicBecky's Brain Food, so thanks to both you and Becky for bringing these wonderful shorts to my attention! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DorianTB, I'm so glad that you stopped by. Also, I'm so glad that Becky, is spotlighing it on her sidebar. That is very sweet of her..

    ReplyDelete
  5. betty boop is such a cutie cartoon, but i never knew it was taken from alive person..lol.. from uluvrosey..

    ReplyDelete